Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Likewise with Ghery its not that I have strong feelings for lateral appropriation one way or the other it just seems like using everyday construction materials to make self consciously beautiful forms for super high minded structures gives me a difficult to articulate feeling of trying too hard.

So when he talks about Robert Mapplethorp’s historical appropriation as being somehow lesser than Sherrie Levine’s wholesale and lateral appropriation my reaction was something like, but who cares? Mapplethorp’s images are rich to me for their reaching back into the past for visual style and the elegance and beauty he executes his images with further add to this. Also I really like Sherrie Levine but I suppose I don’t see the practices as being as opposed to each other as some. This Mapplethorp reference to this Munch print is my favorite.

No comments: