Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I digress. So in the article I also was really interested in the idea of the grid, or specifically how Krauss has theorized it. I never thought of it as something that resisted language but I understand why Krauss describes it that way. A grid truly can have an all-at-onceness that language cannot. When she talked about the grids silence in opposition to narrative I pictured taking every word from a novel and assembling them as a grid. A novel speaks when you read the words one at a time, but all at once the language is inaccessible. The grid does not privilege sequence and is thus silent. I was thinking here of Hanne Darboven and how her grids overwhelm one by presenting so much information is a relatively equal was as to be impenetrable to language. Here are some shots of her incredible installation at Dia Beacon.

No comments: